Plans to construct thousands of new homes on the 293 hectare site of the former Waterbeach barracks and airfield have been revealed.
The land is immediately adjoining the Cambridge Innovation Park, which features both Stirling and Blenheim Houses.
Urban&Civic are redeveloping the site in partnership with the Ministry of Defence. The development will see two new access points onto the A10 and provision will be made for a new Park and Ride facility.
The outline planning application submitted to South Cambridgeshire District Council includes:
- Up to 6,500 homes, including up to 600 units of care home use
- Three primary schools
- A secondary school
- 9,000 sq m of community facilities, including: multi-purpose community centres, health care, nurseries, library use, places of worship and museum
- Sports and fitness centres
- Up to 16,500sqm of retail uses
- 15,000 sq m of employment space comprising offices, research and development and light industrial units (up to 15,000 sq m) to support existing local business parks.
- A lake-side hotel
- A range of supporting infrastructure improvements and investments in energy centres, waste management facilities, upgrade and services, drainage works and sustainable urban drainage systems
Taken from the Cambridge Evening News report of 24th February 2017. Click on the link for the full story – https://goo.gl/zDMVgp